[opendmarc-users] OpenDMARC useless with Postfix

Murray S. Kucherawy msk at blackops.org
Thu Sep 18 22:35:47 PDT 2014

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> Hi Murray, the biggest problem seems to be there is no good short clear
> doku in how to setup opendmarc milter with postfix including most made
> failures or known bugs. As reported the dmarc rfc is not easy reading
> sometimes too.

I'm not at all familiar with postfix, since I grew up using sendmail.  I
would be very happy to have improved postfix-specific documentation to
include in the package that sn't already here.  Are you by any chance
volunteering to write some or make a donation to support such work?  This
is an open source package and not commercial code, as I'm sure you are
aware.

As for the DMARC draft being hard to follow, a rather detailed revision of
it is in progress (no changes to the technology details, just a serious
"haircut" on the language).  It should appear soon, before it's published
as an RFC.  Again, if you have specific suggestions to make, I'm all ears.

> The opendmarc milter seems to need other milters as "helpers" to work
> with postfix, this is "unusual", and it took me two days get this to
> know, i would expect doing every software its own complete job.

You're right, this is one place the documentation isn't clear.  Please
open a ticket on SourceForge if you would like to see this improved;
that's how I remember these things once the release cycle starts.

> I have no criticts about software/standards working as designed. also
> bugs may happen, but there seems still work to do in documentation.

I'm happy to take your specific suggestions.

> I guess the intention of the subject "useless" was in waking up the list
> for support.

Respectfully, it didn't get the kind of attention from me that I think
you really want.  Calling the hard work of a small community "useless" is
a lot more likely to make them angry than helpful.

-MSK