[opendmarc-users] IgnoreAuthenticatedClients does not seem to work properly for me

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Sun Sep 14 06:04:32 PDT 2014

Hi,

Sorry for responding to my own post.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:11:23PM -0400, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:
> I am using postfix 2.11 + smf-spf 2.0.2 + opendkim 2.9.0 + opendmarc 1.3.0.  In
> /etc/opendmarc.conf, I have "IgnoreAuthenticatedClients true".  But when I send
> an email from an authenticated client (i.e. my smartphone), I see the following
> behavior: smf-spf correctly does not insert a Received-SPF header; opendkim
> signs the message as expected; but opendmarc inserts an Authentication-Results
> header saying "dmarc=none".  This surprises me, since I expect DMARC to ignore
> authenticated clients.  Am I misunderstanding the configuration, or is this a
> bug in the code?

I now see that this topic is extremely similar to the previous thread
"opendmarc not detecting SMTP auth" discussed here:
   http://www.trusteddomain.org/pipermail/opendmarc-users/2014-September/000363.html
The only difference seems to be that I'm using postfix, not sendmail.
Unfortunately, I do not see any resolution posted in that thread.

Instead of debugging opendmarc, I solved my problem by reconfiguring postfix to
stop sending authenticated email through the opendmarc milter by patching
the submission and smtps configurations in /etc/postfix/master.cf to
add the option setting "-o smtpd_milters=$non_smtpd_milters".  That seems
to solve my problem.  I hope it may help somebody else.

Regards,
Andy