[opendmarc-users] opendmarc not detecting SMTP auth

Murray S. Kucherawy msk at blackops.org
Mon Sep 8 22:04:16 PDT 2014

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> You could confirm that the macro is being set and sent to the filter using
>> either milter debugging (opendmarc's MilterDebug setting) and/or sendmail's
>> Milter.LogLevel setting.
>
> What would I set this to?  I had tried "10" and the milter logged nothing
> more than previous to my /var/log/all.log (which has *.* in syslog.conf).

That's a good question.  A grep of sendmail's source code suggests 22 is
the highest value that's interesting, and the resulting information does
go to syslog at LOG_INFO level.

>>> I'll note as well that it would be nice if the milter could include the
>>> "Received" headers, if it has access to them.
>>
>> It does have access to them.  I don't know what you mean though: Include
>> them where?
>
> In reports that are mailed to the admin, such as the one I pasted.
> While it was a paste, you saw what I saw.  Specifically, the Received
> header connecting to my system is where I normally look to see if Auth
> has happened.

The Received: field your MTA would normally add might be the only one not
available to the filter as it's added after milters in the sendmail
workflow.  However, all of the information you would be able to get from
it should be available to you via other means, mostly from other macros
passed in by the MTA.

-MSK