[opendmarc-users] OpenDMARC 1.3.0 Beta0 available

Fabian Santiago fsantiago at garden-life.org
Tue Jun 17 17:30:38 PDT 2014

Jose (& list),

First, just to be clear, I'm now running v1.3.0 beta 2. Thanks Todd
for the packages.

I had enabled SPFIgnoreResults first, but then opendmarc-importstats
cron job sent me this warning email after its first attempted db
importation from the history file:

opendmarc-import: failed to insert message: Column 'spf' cannot be null

I disabled the SPF feature(s) and then it continued on importing fine
with no errors. I then realized that when I updated to the 1.3.0 beta
2 version, I never re-ran the mysql schema file (my original db setup
was done using the v1.2.0 db schema file), in case there were any db
changes. so I did that but have yet to re-enable any of the spf
features. Is there an issue with the import script or was it my lack
of db schema upgrade that could have caused that?

Another issue I noticed with v1.3.0 beta 2; last night i had scheduled
via cron the opendmarc-reports script. It ran and seems to have sent
out aggregate reports but I noticed some oddities:

1.> i received an email from cron stating:
Use of uninitialized value $now in concatenation (.) or string at
/usr/sbin/opendmarc-reports line 846.

This message was repeated numerous times (I assume once for every
message sent out). I do believe the messages were sent because I can
see them in my maillog going out and in my opendmarc db, the "last
sent" time stamps were updated in the requests table. But why the errors?

2.> i did say that the aggregate report msgs appeared to have been
sent but my logs stated something peculiar; the 'from=' email address
was stated as "dmarc-reports at linode.com". My email server is a Linode
VPS and my from email account name is supposed to be 'dmarc-reports@'
BUT my server's FQDN is mail.garden-lan.com, and I had intended for my
aggregate email reports to come from 'dmarc-reports at garden-lan.com'.
Where the heck did the opendmarc-reports script get '@linode.com'
from? The script user settings contain:

my $repdom       = hostdomain();
my $repemail     = "dmarc-reports@" . $repdom;

So I guess an extension of my question is how exactly does it
determine the domain?

Or did I make a mistake and not fill that in correctly and was
actually supposed to specify my domain in there somewhere? And as a
result of that omission, it pulled my VPS host provider's domain out
of the ether somehow.....? All of my DNS / reverse DNS records are
good so I'm not sure where the script got it from as of yet. One
possibility is my resolv.conf file:

options rotate
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
search members.linode.com garden-lan.com
nameserver...
nameserver...
nameserver....

Could that have been it or have something to do with it?

Thanks everyone for your help.

- - Fabian S.